Thursday 30 August 2012

What Women Wear

Octavia Hirst

Tavi wear Malene Birger dress

Octavia (Tavi) is the Operations Manager Assistant at the School of Communication Arts; the Chief Charity Researcher at Makerble; the

Founder of Skill Lab http://signup.skillab.co.uk/ and a passionate Social Entrepreneur.
Tavi is a passionate cycler and has a general love all things sporty.  Other true loves include drawing, painting and sculpting.

What do you wear to work?

I am on the casual end of the spectrum which I prefer - Jeans and a t-shirt.  When the mentors come into the school I need to be a little bit more smart though. 

Tavi wears Jennifer Sturrock necklace
pre-loved topshop vest

Is fashion important to you?

Yes and no. When I was younger I didn’t really care.  I am not an avid follower of fashion but now I’m interested in what’s out there to wear and developing my own style. It is not something I prioritise financially but one day! I don’t really follow trends either – I prefer role models to magazine looks.


Tavi wears Sandro t-shirt,  Emesha trousers
& Justine Silverstone necklace
When buying an item of clothing what are your main considerations?

It used to be about how much could I get for my money.
I still buy things that are cheap and convenient but now I make a concerted effort to buy clothes that are going to last. Clothes that will suit me and fit properly so that I don’t have to keep buying new things.
I don’t like constantly throwing things away – it is part of a really wasteful culture. 



Tavi wears vintage lace top 
What is your favourite item of clothing and why?

I have a lot of hand me downs from family members.
I have this interesting and strange dress – it was my Mum’s from the 70s. It’s a tribal looking, dark Maroon, ankle length dress with blocks of patterns and a Kimono style hood. It fits me perfectly but I can’t wear it in any situation because it is just so weird.
I prefer wearing clothes from this era – in so many previous eras we have been restricted by gender or other issues and now we can wear whatever we like.  

I love delicate jewellery. I have lots of lovely family heirloom miniature items, which I put on chains and I love.



Who is the woman you admire most from past or present?

I prefer the word respect but my Grandma. She has lived through complicated and difficult times and she has come out fighting. If I were to choose someone I aspire to be like – My Grandma is a good person to choose.




No comments:

Post a Comment